from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of oxidise.
- adj. Alternative spelling of oxidized.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. combined with or having undergone a chemical reaction with oxygen
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Santilli & his colleague Gary Shoefield claim that it took 2 years to buy the film & that when it finally arrived in London 95% of it had 'oxidised' and the remaining 5% was in very poor condition.
On this metallic film a thicker layer of gold and silver in different shades can be deposited by the current, and the silver surface may also be "oxidised" by washing it in a weak solution of platinum chloride.
He reckons probes sent to planets like Mars should be designed to look for particular mineral features such as oxidised zones in cliff faces.
My blog has a very wide focus, so the only reason for me not posting my notes would be an obviously flawed sample (cooked, corked, oxidised, etc.)
The results showed that elemental mercury is turned into oxidised mercury in the upper atmosphere.
Study shows over time mercury is oxidised and gets deposited back on Earth, through rain or snow.
They used an instrument built at the University of Washington that can detect both elemental and oxidised mercury in the same air sample.
Bacteria then transform the oxidised mercury into methyl mercury, which easily enters the food chain.
Some areas, including the south-west US, had specific climate conditions that allowed them to receive more oxidised mercury from the upper atmosphere than others.
Scientists discovered that in time mercury is oxidised it can then be deposited back on Earth, either in rain or snow.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.