from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two African starlings (Buphagus africanus or B. erythrorhyncus) that feed on the ticks found on the hides of large wild or domestic animals. Also called tickbird.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Either of two species of passerine bird in the genus Buphagus, in the monotypic family Buphagidae, endemic to sub-Saharan African savannah.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An African bird of the genus Buphaga; the beefeater.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An African bird of the genus Buphaga, or family Buphagidæ: so called from its habit of alighting on cattle to peck for food. See cut under Buphaga.
- n. It is somewhat smaller than a robin, of a grayish-brown color, with dark wings and a yellow bill. This bird is found in northern and eastern Africa. A second species, the red-billed oxpecker, B. erythrorhyncha, inhabits central Africa. See Buphaga, with cut.
ox + pecker (Wiktionary)