from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A kind of center-draft hook used on trawl-lines in New England since 1884, having the shank flattened at the upper end instead of an eye, whence the name.
  • n. In saddlery, a curved hook on the back-pad for holding up the bearing-rein.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.