from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Table at currency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A subdivision of currency, equal to a 1/100th of a rupee in various Asian countries.
- n. (British India) A subdivision of currency equivalent to 1/64th of a rupee.
- n. A subdivision of currency, equal to a 1/100th of a Bangladeshi taka.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fractional monetary unit in Bangladesh and India and Nepal and Pakistan
Hindi paisā, from Sanskrit *padāṁśaḥ, quarter part : padam, foot, quarter (of a verse); + aṁśaḥ, portion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hindi पैसा (paisā). (Wiktionary)