from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a part of an insect's leg that is spade-shaped and can be used as a scoop for feeding
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The flattened and spade-like fore tarsus of certain insects, usually employed for swimming.
- n. One of the nodules or ossicles in the mouth-parts of some starfishes, as brittle-stars, borne upon the torus angularis, moved by proper muscles, and collectively serving as teeth. More fully called pala angularis.
- n. The conessi-bark (which see, under bark).
- n. Same as palay
- n. A thin layer of brain tissue, fancifully compared to the shape of a spade, at the extremity of the rima, which connects the cerebrum and the fimbriæ.
- n. A Hawaiian name for syphilis.
- n. An abbreviated form of impala.
Sorry, no etymologies found.