from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. fish that are suitable for cooking in a frying pan by virtue both of size and taste; panfish are caught primarily for eating, rather than for sport
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any of numerous small food fishes; especially those not available on the market.
- n. Any of numerous small food fishes taken with hook and line.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the right size and quality for frying whole in a pan.
- n. A saucepan-fish or casserole-fish; the king-crab, Limulus polyphemus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous small food fishes; especially those caught with hook and line and not available on the market
Sorry, no etymologies found.