from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being the best or truest of a kind; quintessential: a diplomat par excellence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being the best of its kind.
- adj. Being a quintessential example of the kind in question.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. By virtue of manifest superiority; by the highest right, claim, or qualification; preëminently.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. to a degree of excellence
French : par, by + excellence, preeminence.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowed from French par excellence ("by excellence"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.