from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Inducing or facilitating childbirth.
- n. A drug facilitating childbirth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medicine tending to cause parturition, or to give relief in childbirth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A medicine tending to cause parturition, or to give relief in childbearing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A medicine, as ergot, which excites uterine action, or facilitates parturition; an oxytocic.
Latin parturīre, to be in labor; see parturient + -facient.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin parturire to desire to bring forth + facere to make. (Wiktionary)