from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An extinct migratory bird (Ectopistes migratorius) abundant in eastern North America until the latter part of the 19th century.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an extinct bird of the species Ectopistes migratorius
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A once common wild pigeon of North America (Ectopistes migratorius), now extinct. It was so called on account of its extensive migrations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common wild pigeon of the United States, Ectopistes migratorius: so called from its very extensive wanderings in search of food. See Ectopistes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gregarious North American migratory pigeon now extinct
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.