from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of armour which covers the abdomen or lower body.
- n. Obsolete form of pansy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The pansy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete variant of paunch.
- n. In armor: Same as cuirass.
- n. Body-armor of linked mail; also, the brigandine, in the sense of any coat of fence for the lower part of the body. Also paunch.
- n. Same as pance, pansy.
Carnation; "sops in wine," jolly-pastoral for double pink; "paunce," thoughtless pastoral for pansy; "chevisaunce," I don't know (not in
The doe was hit thru the liver and paunce yet still went only 56 yds.
And the Cowslyppe with a prety paunce let heere lye.
'sops in wine,' jolly-pastoral for double pink; 'paunce,' thoughtless pastoral for pansy; 'chevisaunce' I don't know, (not in Gerarde);
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.