from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mixture of ferrite and cementite forming distinct layers or bands in slowly cooled carbon steels.
- n. Variant of perlite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A two-phased lamellar structure composed of alternating layers of alpha ferrite and cementite that occurs in some steels and cast irons, having a pearlescent appearance.
- n. Alternative form of perlite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A glassy volcanic rock of a grayish color and pearly luster, often having a spherulitic concretionary structure due to the curved cracks produced by contraction in cooling. See Illust. under perlitic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The eutectoid of Steel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lamellar mixture of cementite and ferrite formed during the cooling of austenite; a constituent of steel and cast iron
pearl + -ite (Wiktionary)