American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A narrow flag, streamer, or pennon, especially one carried at the top of a lance or spear.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete form of pencil.
- n. A small pennon or streamer attached to a staff, spear, or lance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A small, narrow flag or streamer borne at the top of a lance; -- called also
- From Anglo-Norman pencel, reduced form of penuncel. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French penoncel, diminutive of penon, pennon; see pennon. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And thats when the point on his pencel broke and then we got up and went out.”
Looking for tweets for pencel.