from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several plants having rounded leaves suggestive of pennies, as:
- n. A Eurasian plant (Umbilicus rupestris) having thick peltate leaves and yellowish-green flowers. Also called navelwort.
- n. A North American plant (Obolaria virginica) having fleshy leaves and small white or purplish flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant, Umbilicus rupestris, having leaves the shape and size of a (pre-decimal) penny
- n. A name given to several completely different plants around the world. In general they all have round leaves of about the shape and size of a (pre-decimal) penny.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European trailing herb (Linaria Cymbalaria) with roundish, reniform leaves. It is often cultivated in hanging baskets.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several round-leafed plants of different genera.
penny + wort (Wiktionary)