from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The next to the last item in a series.
- n. The next to the last syllable in a word.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The next-to-last syllable of a word.
- n. The next to the last in a series.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The last syllable but one of a word; the syllable preceding the final one.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The last syllable of a word but one.
- Next to the last; penultimate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the next to last syllable in a word
Short for penultima, from Latin paenultima, feminine of paenultimus, next to last : paene, almost + ultimus, last; see ultimate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From penultimate ("next to last"), by shortening (Wiktionary)