from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a group of igneous rocks composed mainly of olivine and various pyroxenes and having a granitelike texture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rock consisting of small crystals of olivine, pyroxene and hornblende; the major constituent of the Earth's mantle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An eruptive rock characterized by the presence of chrysolite (peridot). It also usually contains pyroxene, enstatite, chromite, etc. It is often altered to serpentine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rock composed essentially of olivin, with which are usually associated more or less of one or more of the minerals enstatite, diallage, augite, magnetite, chromite, and picotite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dark coarse-grained igneous rock consisting principally of olivine
From peridot + -ite. (Wiktionary)