from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Botany The nutritive tissue that is derived from the nucleus and surrounds the embryo of the seed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The layer of nutritive tissue, derived from the nucellus, that surrounds the embryo of a seed in some angiosperms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The albumen of a seed, especially that portion which is formed outside of the embryo sac.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In bot., a name originally proposed by Jussieu for the albumen or nutritive matter stored up in the seeds of plants; by later authors restricted to the albumen which is stored up outside the embryo-sac. Compare endosperm.
- n. The pericarp or even the integuments of a seed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the nutritive tissue outside the sac containing the embryo in some seeds
French périsperme. See peri- and sperm. (Wiktionary)