American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or growing on a petiole: a petiolar sheath.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In bot, pertaining to a petiole, or proceeding from it: growing on or supported by a petiole: as, a petiolar tendril; a petiolar bud; a, petiolar gland.
- In zoology and anatomy, same as petiolate.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a petiole.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Bot.) Of or pertaining to petiole, or proceeding from it; ; growing or supported upon a petiole
“It is distinguished by its phonology, whitish twigs and paired thorns, blue green bipinnate leaves lacking a petiolar gland, but with glands between nearly all its 2-12 pinnate pairs.”
“It is distinguished by its phenology, whitish twigs and paired thorns. blue green bipinnate leaves lacking a petiolar gland, but with glands between nearly all its 2-12 pinnate pairs.”
“Median area: of wings in Orthoptera, lies between the radial and ulnar veins, radius and media (Comst.): of meta-thorax of Hymenoptera, is the middle of the dorsum, divided into three spaces or cells; 1st or basal area, 2d or Lipper median or areola; 3d or apical or petiolar area.”
“I can see that it doesn't have a naked petiolar sinus.”
‘petiolar’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for petiolar.