from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several borrowing marine bivalve molluscs of the genus Pholas
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous species of marine bivalve mollusks of the genus Pholas, or family Pholadidæ. They bore holes for themselves in clay, peat, and soft rocks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of the family Pholadidæ and the subfamily Pholadinæ.
- n. [lowercase] A species of the genus Pholas; a pholad; a piddock. See cut under piddock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the family Pholadidae: piddocks
Sorry, no etymologies found.