from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A standardized set of symbols used in phonetic transcription.
- n. Any of various systems of code words for identifying letters in voice communication.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A writing system used for transcribing the sounds of human speech into writing.
- n. A list of standard words used to identify letters.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an alphabet of characters intended to represent specific sounds of speech
Sorry, no etymologies found.