from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To persist in emitting light, unaccompanied by sensible heat or combustion, after exposure to and removal of a source of radiation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To exhibit phosphorescence
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To shine as phosphorus; to be phosphorescent; to emit a phosphoric light.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To shine, as phosphorus, by exhibiting a faint light without sensible heat; give out a phosphorescent light.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. to exhibit phosphorescence
Probably back-formation from phosphorescent.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
C 1794 phosphor + -esce (Wiktionary)