from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A unit of illumination equal to one lumen per square centimeter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A photometric unit of illuminance, or luminous flux through an area (symbol ph).
- v. to photograph
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A proposed photometric unit equal to an illumination of one lux for one second; one lumen of light-flux applied to a surface of one square meter for one second of time.
- n. Abbreviations of photographic
- n. [lowercase or cap.] of photography.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a unit of illumination equal to 1 lumen per square centimeter; 10,000 phots equal 1 lux
Greek phōs, phōt-, light; see bhā-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Coined by André Blondel in 1921. See photo-. (Wiktionary)
Shortening of photograph (Wiktionary)