from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The visible outer layer of a star, especially of the sun.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A visible surface layer of a star, and especially that of a sun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sphere of light; esp., the luminous envelope of the sun.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An envelop of light; specifically, the luminous envelop, supposed to consist of incandescent matter, surrounding the sun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the intensely luminous surface of a star (especially the sun)
photo- + -sphere (Wiktionary)