from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A red phycobilin occurring especially in the cells of red algae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A red, light-harvesting protein found in cyanobacteria, red algae and cryptomonads
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A red coloring matter found in algæ of the subclass Florideæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A red coloring matter to which the red seaweeds or Florideæ owe their peculiar coloring, which is present, in addition to chlorophyl, in the cells. It is soluble in water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. red pigment in red algae
From phyco- + erythro- + -in (Wiktionary)