American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Cut through with a sharp instrument; perforated.
- adj. Of or relating to a body part that has been perforated for the purpose of attaching a piece of jewelry.
- adj. Of or relating to a piece of jewelry designed to be worn in a such a body part: a pierced earring.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Penetrated; entered by force; perforated.
- In heraldry:
- Cut through with an opening not so large as that implied in cleché, and not of the shape of the bearing. The shape of the opening should be stated in the blazon, as triangular, lozengy, etc.; when not stated, the opening is supposed to be circular. Compare quarter-pierced, quarterly pierced, under quarterly.
- Having an arrow, spear, or other weapon thrust into it but not passing through, as an animal used as a bearing. Compare transfixed.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of pierce.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Penetrated; entered; perforated.
- adj. having a hole cut through
“Tau_”: if it is pierced at the intersection of the limbs, and the entire central area be voided, it is said to be “_pierced quarterly_.””
“The name pierced the core of his silence and shat'tered into echoes, each one a pledge of compassion.”
“The mother's eyes met the husband's and pain pierced their hearts.”
“Mr. Meredith was, as usual, lost in dreams when supper began that evening, but presently a name pierced his abstraction and brought him back to reality.”
“The sound of his name pierced the sleep mists and brought the dog to wakefulness.”
“My idea is, that till the core of Africa is pierced from the coast but little progress will take place among the hordes of natives in the interior.”
“Ten thousand strengths seemed then to heave him from her heart; and struggling with a power that amazed even herself, she threw him from her; and holding him off with her shackled arms, her shrieks again pierced the heavens.”
“His sword pierced her defenses and sliced into her thigh.”
“That name pierced her anxiety, but no sooner had it done so than she told herself not to be ridiculous.”
“But nobody asked the dolphin if it wanted the radio tag pierced into the dorsal fin, and nobody asked the chimpanzee if he wanted to be a cosmonaut and it was the same thing to the aliens.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pierced’.
Looking for tweets for pierced.