from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A North American grunt (Orthopristis chrysoptera) with a piglike mouth, found along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States and important as a food fish. Also called hogfish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any one of several species of salt-water grunts, called also hogfish.
- n. A sculpin
- n. Any of several other fishes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of salt-water grunts; -- called also hogfish.
- n. A sculpin. The name is also applied locally to several other fishes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any one of various fishes which make a grunting noise when taken out of the water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. found around the Great Barrier Reef
- n. found from Long Island southward
From the grunting sound it makes.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
pig + fish (Wiktionary)