from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small balloon used to determine wind velocity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small unmanned balloon whose ascent is followed by a theodolite to obtain data for the computation of the speed and direction of winds in the upper air.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small balloon sent up in advance of a large one, to show the direction and force of the wind.
- A small, unmanned balloon sent up to indicate the direction of air currents.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small balloon sent up in advance of a larger one to ascertain the direction and strength of the wind.
- n. A small balloon used for ascertaining the direction of air-currents at different levels: most frequently used before ascents of manned balloons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. meteorological balloon used to observe air currents
Sorry, no etymologies found.