Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colorless crystalline compound, (CH3)2C(OH).C(OH)(CH3)2 or tetramethylglycol, made by reducing aqueous acetone with sodium. It melts at 35–38° C. Its crystalline hydrate, C6H14O2 + 6H2O, melts at 46.5° C. It loses water when heated, and then boils at 172° C.
- n. One of the higher homologues of pinacone; any ditertiary alcohol, as butyrone pinacone, (C3H7)2C(OH)-(OH)C(C3H7)2.
- n. organic chemistry A white crystalline substance related to the glycols, and made from acetone.
- n. organic chemistry, by extension Any of a series of substances of which pinacone proper is the type.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A white crystalline substance related to the glycols, and made from acetone; hence, by extension, any one of a series of substances of which pinacone proper is the type.
- From Ancient Greek a tablet. So called because it unites with water to form tablet-shaped crystals. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘pinacone’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for pinacone.