from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A white crystalline substance related to the glycols, and made from acetone.
- n. Any of a series of substances of which pinacone proper is the type.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A white crystalline substance related to the glycols, and made from acetone; hence, by extension, any one of a series of substances of which pinacone proper is the type.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colorless crystalline compound, (CH3)2C(OH).C(OH)(CH3)2 or tetramethylglycol, made by reducing aqueous acetone with sodium. It melts at 35–38° C. Its crystalline hydrate, C6H14O2 + 6H2O, melts at 46.5° C. It loses water when heated, and then boils at 172° C.
- n. One of the higher homologues of pinacone; any ditertiary alcohol, as butyrone pinacone, (C3H7)2C(OH)-(OH)C(C3H7)2.
From Ancient Greek a tablet. So called because it unites with water to form tablet-shaped crystals. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.