from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device used underwater to produce pulses of sound, as for an echo sounder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device that emits a short, high-pitched sound bust (i.e. goes, "ping!") such as in sonar or other echo location systems.
- n. A device that periodically emits a signal that can be monitored to permit movement tracking.
- n. A computer program that sends a ping message over a network.
- n. A user of a ping program; one who pings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pulse generator used for echo sounding in sonar
From ping + -er. (Wiktionary)