from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the genus Pinguicula of butterworts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See butterwort.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of gamopetalous plants of the order Lentibularieæ, characterized by the spreading posterior corolla-lobe, the four- to five-parted calyx, and the terminal one-celled anthers.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
- n. [l. c] A small painless tumor of the conjunctiva, usually situated close to the edge of the cornea. Also called interpalpebral blotch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. butterworts: a large genus of almost stemless carnivorous bog plants; Europe and America to Antarctica
We are in the flat woods again -- palmetto-clumps under the pine trees, pitcher-plants and orchis in the low spots, violets and pinguicula beside the ditches, vetches and lupines and pawpaw and the trailing mimosa in the sand.
Among the plants noticed by the roadside was a species of pinguicula which was very common on damp clay-cuttings.
I call it 'Minima' only, as the least of the five here named; without putting forward any claim for it to be the smallest pinguicula that ever was or will be.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.