from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A crystalline solid, C17H19NO3, extracted from black pepper and used as flavoring and as an insecticide.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The alkaloid responsible for the pungency of black pepper
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A white crystalline compound of piperidine and piperic acid. It is obtained from the black pepper (Piper nigrum) and other species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A concretion of volcanic ashes.
- n. A crystalline alkaloid (C17H19NO3) extracted from pepper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. derived from pepper (especially black pepper); source of the hotness of black and white pepper
Latin piper, pepper; see pepper + -ine2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)