American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Sports A stop at a pit for refueling or service during an automobile race.
- n. Informal A brief stop for rest and refreshment, especially during an automobile trip.
- n. Informal A place where such a stop is made.
- n. motor racing A stop made during an automobile race at the pit to refuel and perform other periodic maintenance on the vehicle.
- n. A brief stop for fuel, rest and/or refreshment during an automobile journey.
- n. A stop during any pedestrian or automobile travel for any utilitarian personal purpose, especially use of a bathroom.
- n. A place that offers food, beverages, and other goods and services for those stopping on an automobile journey.
- n. A utilitarian stop on a figurative journey.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See pit stop in the vocabulary.
- n. (Auto Racing) A stop by one of the competing cars in a pit by the side of the racetrack, to take on gasoline, change tires, or perform other maintenance.
- n. Any pause in a journey, to eat or drink, or to use a rest room.
- n. A place where one may make a pit stop[1 or 2].
- n. a stop during an automobile trip for rest and refreshment
- n. a brief stop at a pit during an automobile race to take on fuel or service the car
- Literally, a stop at the pit of an automobile race track. (Wiktionary)
“Since she’d been driving, she’d washed her face with plain old liquid rest-room soap and water at the last pit stop in an effort to keep awake, which meant she had no defenses left.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pit stop’.
like nobody's bui..., soap up, plug away, country club, horse whisperer, cease and desist, eye of the beholder, small-claims court, nut job, heebie-jeebies, hole in the wall, black-tie and 101 more...
Looking for tweets for pit stop.