from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various volcanic glasses distinguished by their dull pitchlike luster.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a natural glass, that is rich in microscopic crystallites, formed by the rapid cooling of lava or magma
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An igneous rock of semiglassy nature, having a luster like pitch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An old volcanic rock, resembling hardened pitch in appearance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. dark acid granitic glass
Translation of German Pechstein.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
pitch + stone (Wiktionary)