from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument that measures the area of a plane figure as a mechanically coupled pointer traverses the perimeter of the figure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An integrating device used to measure the area of an irregular figure via tracing its outline
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring the area of any plane figure, however irregular, by passing a tracer around the bounding line; a platometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for measuring a plane area by carrying a tracer round its periphery, and noting the change of reading of a scale.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a measuring instrument for measuring the area of an irregular plane figure
Sorry, no etymologies found.