from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In photography, a thin loose blackened frame inserted in the plate-holder to permit the use of a plate smaller than that for which the holder was originally constructed. Also used in photo-engraving to hold the half-tone screen near to the sensitive plate during exposure. Same as kit, 4.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.