from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To splash around in something wet; to dabble.
- v. To potter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To wade or move about with splashing; to dabble; also, to potter; trifle; idle.
- n. Act of ploutering; floundering; act or sound of splashing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To dabble or paddle in water or mire.
- n. A dabbling or playing in water; a splashing bath.
Probably from plout + -er. (Wiktionary)