American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See ice fog.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A frozen fog, formed in the coldest weather in the mountain valleys of Idaho, Nevada, and Colorado. When inhaled it often produces severe pulmonary trouble.
- n. A ice fog which forms in valleys in the Western United States.
- n. a dense winter fog containing ice particles
- From Shoshone paγinappih ("thunder cloud") or a related word. (Wiktionary)
- Shoshone pakenappeh. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“According to Native American tradition, breathing pogonip can danger your lungs.”
“COOPER: There are things that -- pogonip is a noun.”
“Is pogonip A, smoke from the campfire; B, bee pollen; C, frozen fog; or D, smelly fish guts?”
“This doubtless reflects psychoanalytic theory's cherished insistence that the patient actually does the analyzing in the long run and thus is more truly the active partner. pogonip Another sure-fire dictionary winner: not a quick drink snatched while riding a bouncy stick, but a fog laden with particles of ice.”
“Meteorologists utilize not only chinook, already mentioned, but also pogonip”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pogonip’.
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Environmental Ice and Snow
(excluding all the food ice)
If you've ever played the game "Balderdash," you may have heard of the 'Weird Words' category. This category lists some pretty strange words... these are a few examples of word you may come across ...
my favorite voiceless bilabial plosive.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
The descriptive science described.
Geographical and weather-related ice formations and phenomena.
Looking for tweets for pogonip.