American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A soldier who is assigned to a position some distance ahead of a patrol as a lookout.
- n. A man who has a crucial, often hazardous role in the forefront of an enterprise: "[He] has traditionally been the administration's point man on affirmative-action issues, making frequent public appearances to present and clarify the administration's views” ( Christian Science Monitor).
- n. military In combat, the soldier who takes point; the soldier who assumes the first and most exposed position in a combat military formation; the lead soldier/unit advancing through hostile or unsecured territory.
- n. By extension, a most trusted assistant or associate; the person to whom one would most rely upon.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mil.) the lead soldier in a foot patrol under combat conditions.
- n. a person who takes a conspicuous public position in proposing a new idea or initiating a new policy, who may become a target of criticism for those opposed.
- n. someone who is the forefront of an important enterprise
- n. a soldier who goes ahead of a patrol
“That was the setup we agreed to through Little Skag before I got out — I'd be point man and Judas goat for you and flush out whoever's betraying you.”
“Anna had made him point man on the flimsy pretext that it would be good for his orienteering skills — as if a blind three-year-old could get lost on the clear tracks of Glacier's main trails.”
“Putin retained Alexander Voloshin, Yeltsin’s capable and savvy chief of staff, who helped push through Putin’s early economic reforms and was the point man for dealing with the new Bush administration.”
“She's a fat little inbred preppy and you're the point man of the avant-garde Capulets and Montagues.”
Mistress of Justice
“The secretary of state became the point man for putting things back together after the quick Camp David agreement Carter had anticipated in early September 1978 did not materialize, and the near-venomous relations between Begin and Sadat threatened to blow the negotiations out of the water.”
“Samuel Rodriguez is serving as point man for the New Apostolic Reformation's strategy to capture Hispanic and African-American voters and although the movement's interests do not always align with the Republican Party, in practice they tend to.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘point man’.
Everything that contains a man in it
Types and nicknames.
Looking for tweets for point man.