from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to an acid that has two or more hydrogen atoms that can be replaced by basic atoms or radicals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. containing two or more replaceable hydrogen atoms
- adj. having two or more atoms of a univalent metal
- adj. Having two or more basic groups; see also polybase
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Capable of neutralizing, or of combining with, several molecules of a monacid base; having several hydrogen atoms capable of being replaced by basic radicals; -- said of certain acids.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In chem., capable of combining with more than two univalent bases: as, polybasic acids or radicals.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ammoniacal and other nitrogenous vapors, sulphureted hydrogen gas, and compounds analogous to the polybasic ternary and quaternary compounds analogous to the polybasic ternary and quaternary combinations of the vegetable kingdom, may produce miasmata, *
However, the intracerebral pathogenicity index of APMV-5 strain Kunitachi in one-day-old chicks was found to be zero, indicating that the virus is avirulent for chickens despite the presence of a polybasic F cleavage site.
O, et al. (2006) PI (3,4,5) P3 and PI (4,5) P2 lipids target proteins with polybasic clusters to the plasma membrane.
Yalovsky S (2006) Association of Arabidopsis type-II ROPs with the plasma membrane requires a conserved C-terminal sequence motif and a proximal polybasic domain.
It has been shown that the polybasic domain in Rho proteins associates with phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate (PtdIns-P2) and phosphatidylinositol 3,4,5-trisphosphate (PtdIns-P3) .
Association with the inner leaflet of the plasma membrane also requires a polybasic domain proximal to the lipid modified cysteines
Appel J, Houghten RA, Lindberg I, Day R (2007) Short polybasic peptide sequences are potent inhibitors of PC5/6 and PC7: Use of positional scanning-synthetic peptide combinatorial libraries as a tool for the optimization of inhibitory sequences.
C or point mutations within the polybasic region have been shown to disrupt the internalization of prion protein
Sequence analysis of the NH2-terminus of PrP revealed the presence of two putative PTDs with homology to the polybasic TAT transduction domain (
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.