Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or appearing to have many stomachs. as an animalcule; specifically, of or pertaining to the Polygastrica.
- n. A polygastric animalcule.
- adj. anatomy Having several bellies; -- applied to muscles which are made up of several bellies separated by short tendons.
- adj. zoology Pertaining to the Polygastrica.
- n. zoology Any polygastric creature.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Anat.) Having several bellies; -- applied to muscles which are made up of several bellies separated by short tendons.
- adj. (Zoöl.), obsolete Pertaining to the Polygastrica.
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the Polygastrica.
“In the oceanic depths, far exceeding the height of our loftiest mountain chains, every stratum of water is animated with polygastric sea-worms, Cyclidiae and Ophrydinae.”
“African shore, contains the remains of eighteen species of silicious-shelled polygastric animalcules.”
“No mere organic cell, destined for ulterior changes in a living organization, has a mouth armed with teeth, or provided with long tentacula; I will not lay stress on the alimentary canal and appended stomachs, which many still regard as 'sub judice'; but the endowment of distinct organs of generation, for propagating their kind by fertile ova, raises the polygastric infusoria much above the mere organic cell. "-- pp. 25, 26.”
Looking for tweets for polygastric.