from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A written character or combination of characters having two or more phonetic values, such as the letter a or i in English.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A letter, or combination of letters, that can be pronounced in two or more different ways
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A character or vocal sign representing more than one sound, as read, which is pronounced rēd or rĕd.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A written sign capable of being read in more than one way, or standing for two or more phonetic signs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a letter that has two or more pronunciations
Sorry, no etymologies found.