from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lens that has multiple facets and forms multiple images
- n. A device for viewing the cavities of the body
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A glass which makes a single object appear as many; a multiplying glass.
- n. An apparatus for affording a view of the different cavities of the body.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In optics, a lens plane on one side and convex on the other, but having the convex side formed of several plane surfaces or facets, so that an object seen through it appears multiplied—.
- n. In surgery, an instrument for illuminating the cavities of the body by means of an electric light.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He has given the electric polyscope features such that every cavity in the human body may be explored by its aid.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.