from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having an extra copy of one or more chromosomes: a polysomic individual; a polysomic cell.
- n. A polysomic organism or cell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having one or more duplicated chromosomes beyond the normal diploid complement
- adj. In auto-polyploids, inheritance that involves pairing of homeologous chromosomes, rather than strictly homologous pairs.
- n. such an organism or chromosome
poly- + (chromo)som(e) + -ic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.