from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Zoology Stretched out or forth; extended, especially forward: porrect mandibles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. stretched (out or forward)
- v. To stretch out or forward
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Extended horizontally; stretched out.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To thrust out horizontally.
- Extended forward; stretched forth horizontally; antrorse; prorsal.
Latin porrēctus, past participle of porrigere, to stretch out : por-, forward, out; see per1 in Indo-European roots + regere, to direct, rule; see direct.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)