Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who owns or has actual possession of a thing, or power over it; a possessor.
- n. A member of a religious order endowed with lands, etc., as distinguished from those orders whose members lived entirely by alms; a member of one of the orders possessing lands and revenues; a beneficed clergyman.
- n. obsolete A possessor; a holder of property.
- n. obsolete, derogatory A member of any religious community endowed with property in lands, buildings, etc., as contrasted with mendicant friars.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A possessor; a property holder.
- n. obsolete An invidious name for a member of any religious community endowed with property in lands, buildings, etc., as contrasted with mendicant friars.
- possession + -er (Wiktionary)
“But he soon won a wider fame as a preacher in London, an adviser of the court, an opponent of the "possessioner" monks, and of the forsworn friars, who, deserting apostolic poverty, vied with the monks in covetousness.”
“possessioner" monks, whose lands, he maintained, could be resumed by the representatives of the donors at their will.”
‘possessioner’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for possessioner.