from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Situated behind the socket of the eye: a postorbital bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Behind the orbit of the eye.
- n. A postorbital bone or scale.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Situated behind the orbit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy and zoology: Situated on the hinder part of the bony brim of the orbit of the eye.
- Bounding the orbit behind, as a separate bone of sundry reptiles. See the noun.
- Lying backward (caudad) of the orbit of the eye, on the surface of the body; postocular: as, the postorbital part of the head.
- In entomology, lying behind the compound eyes of an insect.
- n. In herpetology, a separate bone which in some reptiles forms a posterior part of the orbit of the eye.
Sorry, no etymologies found.