from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous herbs or shrubs of the genus Potentilla, of the North Temperate Zone, having pinnately or palmately compound leaves and yellow, white, or red flowers with many pistils.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many shrubs and herbs of the genus Potentilla; the cinquefoils
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large genus of rosaceous plants, type of the tribe Potentilleæ, characterized by the numerous pistils on the dry receptacle, styles not lengthened after flowering, four or five bracts below the calyx, and many stamens in a single row.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. chiefly perennial northern hemisphere herbs and shrubs: cinquefoil
Medieval Latin, garden valerian, from Latin potēns, potent-, present participle of posse, to be able; see potent.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)