from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The general's tent in an Ancient Roman camp.
- n. A council of war.
- n. The official residence of a governor of a province.
- n. A splendid country seat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The general's tent in a Roman camp; hence, a council of war, because held in the general's tent.
- n. The official residence of a governor of a province; hence, a place; a splendid country seat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of a Roman camp in which the general's tent stood. See plan under camp.
- n. The official residence of a provincial governor among the ancient Romans; a hall of justice; a palace.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the tent of an ancient Roman general
Latin praetorium, from praetor. (Wiktionary)