from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An early symptom indicating the onset of an attack or a disease.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an early symptom warning of the onset of a disease
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A forerunner; a precursor.
- n. A premonitory symptom; a symptom or sensation experienced by a person which presages the onset of a disease or abnormal physiological event.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A forerunner.
- n. Any prodromal symptom.
- n. A precursory or preliminary treatise; a prodromus (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an early symptom that a disease is developing or that an attack is about to occur
This schizophrenia "prodrome" - the early signs - involves a troubled mental state usually found in teens and young adults.
We and others have found that IFN-gamma and other pro-inflammatory cytokines interact with processing and production of the pathological hallmark feature of Alzheimer's disease (AD); A-beta peptide; suggesting that inflammaging may be a "prodrome" to AD.
The news is that a constellation or "prodrome" of possible, impending serious illness has been long-recognized, and that now hopes are rising that they might trigger effective, early intervention.
The Four Phases of a Migraine 1 Premonitory, or prodrome.
Psychosis risk is the putative prodrome of schizophrenia, minor neurocognitive is the prelude of dementia,and mixed anxiety/depression presages more clearly defined mood and anxiety disorders.
I was aware that an aura was a prodrome of a migraine.
I did learn a few new things, like the SAT word “prodrome,” which meant “a warning sign of an oncoming headache.”
Even patients who presented with ADAMTS13 levels below 10% were heterogeneous, initially presenting in multiple clinical categories (HSCT, postpartum, bloody diarrhea prodrome, additional or alternative disorders, as well as idiopathic).
In machine and knitting and books of overall intro machine each prodrome must introduce structured with a worthy plant of oil.
The prodrome started with a feeling like someone was repeatedly stabbing the roof of my mouth and lower lip with a needle.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.