from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A swallow.
- n. A genus of swallows including the purple martin. See martin.
- n. An American butterfly (Polygonia Progne syn. Vanessa Progne). It is orange and black above, grayish beneath, with an L-shaped silver mark on the hind wings. Called also gray comma.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [lowercase] A swallow.
- n. An American genus of Hirundinidæ or swallows, containing several species of large size, robust form, and dark coloration, some of which are known as purple martins, as P. subis or P. purpurea, the very common and familiar purple martin of the United States.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genus of Hirundinidae
Sorry, no etymologies found.