American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the Prosimii, a suborder of primates that includes the lemurs, lorises, and tarsiers.
- n. A primate of the suborder Prosimii.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lemurine or lemuroid; strepsirrhine, as a lemur; of or pertaining to the Prosimiæ.
- n. A member of the Prosimiæ; a lemuroid, lemurine, or lemur.
- adj. Of or from the prosimian suborder of primates.
- n. A primate that is not a monkey or an ape, generally nocturnal with large eyes and ears. Such primates were formerly grouped in the suborder Prosimii, but are now considered a paraphyletic group and not a clade.
- n. primitive primates having large ears and eyes and characterized by nocturnal habits
- From New Latin Prosīmiī, suborder name : Latin pro-, before; see pro-1 + Latin sīmiī, pl. of sīmius, ape (variant of sīmia; see simian). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“HANNA: Well, the lemur is what we call a prosimian, which means pre-monkey and pre-ape.”
“BB, the bouncing bush baby, was a small prosimian we brought back from Kenya, and Bear was simply the most loving and loyal German shepherd ever, who some fool dumped off in the hills of Beverly and I was lucky enough to rescue.”
“The authors of the paper describing Darwinius classified it as a member of the primate family Notharctidae, subfamily Cercamoniinae, suggesting that it has the status of a significant transitional form (a "link") between the prosimian and simian ("anthropoid") primate lineages.”
“At the Fongoli site in Senegal, we observed ten different chimpanzees use tools to hunt prosimian prey in 22 bouts.”
“Several primate species are found in these forests and include the threatened banded langur (Trachypithecus melalophus) and slow loris (Loris nycticebus), a small, nocturnal prosimian.”
“So Gunther et al. (1992) titled a paper 'Can prosimian-like leaping be considered a preadaptation to bipedal walking in hominids'.”
“Can prosimian-like leaping be considered a preadaptation to bipedal walking in hominids?”
“Are there aerodynamic effects in leaping prosimian primates?”
“The Ring-Tailed Lemur — a native of Madagascar, the ring-tailed lemur is a “prosimian”, or an ancestor of the modern primates.”
“This is a prosimian, which means it's pre-monkey and pre-ape.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prosimian’.
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
Looking for tweets for prosimian.